In today’s job market, employers are increasingly looking to hire new graduates with workforce skills. The earlier students begin building these skills, the more opportunities will be available after their degree. Graduates with higher work force skills applying for a full-time job are far more likely to receive the job offer with higher salaries!
“Research has established that graduates who had internships in college, years later as alumni, were twice as likely than those who did not have internships to be engaged in their work and 1.5 times more likely to report high levels of wellbeing.”
4 ways college students benefit from internships
Learning doesn’t just take place in the classroom — participating in internships can provide students with a wealth of other benefits. Consider the four below:
1. Students can apply their classroom learning in professional environments
Healthcare students who are required to participate in clinicals will tell you how invaluable the hands-on experience is when given an opportunity to put theory to practice. This kind of experiential learning is what internships are all about.
“Students have the opportunity to develop and apply the skills, theories and concepts learned in the classroom,” explains a Ritu Garg, Ex Banker and now Career Counselor at SkillLabs. “The ability to develop and hone professional skills that promote growth and development while at the same time gaining industry-specific — and often technological — skills related to their field is valuable.”
2. Students can gain exposure to their chosen field
Participating in internships can be a great way to get a taste of the actual professional experience in a particular field before you commit yourself to it fully.
“Besides getting a foot in the door with a potential employer and looking good on a resume, internships have other advantages, such as the opportunity to ‘test drive’ a career,” explains Dr Devesh Bathla, professor of Analytics at a leading university.
“Internships offer students a low-pressure entry into their field and while adjusting into new role and workplace environment such students are more comfortable.
3. Students can establish critical networking connections
Through experiential learning opportunities like internships, there are invaluable chances of students forge important professional connections before they even reach graduation.
“Students are afforded the opportunity to network and build contacts in their field,” they say. “For many students, the internship is a stepping stone to additional opportunities within the same organization, including full-time employment.”
4. Students can gain coveted work experience
To get a job you need experience and to gain experience you need a job’ this ever going riddle One of the greatest frustrations college graduates who struggle to find employment.
“Fresh out of college, you rarely have anything significant to say in a job interview. No one asks about your accounting class or what grade you got on a group project, best real work experience you can have is in your internship.”
Our experts are united on this point. “An internship provides the work experience that helps students put their education into practice, develop their leadership skills and give them a competitive advantage as they pursue a permanent position,”.
How does it work?
- Students to contact Dean at campus to discuss his interest, availability and major.
- Campus organises a career seminar by experts from SkillLabs.
- Interested students get assigned with mentor and faculty supervisor in chosen area.
- A group of students in the respective domain enroll for the program.
- Class-room component of the program is delivered through virtual learning platform.
- Campus to activate virtual learning platform with at least 30 systems, internet / lease -line, viewing screen and speakers. A video conferencing facility is preferred for better experience.
- Credential Based Resume Building
- Internships and community projects
- Networking with business leaders
- Letter of Recommendation
- Job support services
Work as a FINTERN at SkillLabs. It’s a great way to gain work experience in major or explore a different field of work. You may get academic credits as well.
- Banking & Finance, Business Analytics, HR, Digital Marketing, Entrepreneurship